Everyone has a tip or two to share when selecting hair oils. That’s because we often battle hair fall, dryness, itchy scalp, and dandruff. And to combat these problems, we often prefer oiling our scalps. However, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to good hair care products. Hence, you should pick the right oil based on your hair type and concern. Let us discuss how to choose the best hair oil and the mistakes to avoid so that your hair care plans are intact.
Importance of Oiling Your Hair
Experts believe that hair oils are essential for healthier, stronger, and shinier hair. They are extracted from herbs, plants, and fruits, and they thus act as natural nutrients to promote healthy-looking hair. In addition, they offer much-needed nourishment and hydration to our hair strands. Probably that is why our mothers and grandmothers raved about applying oil to keep all hair problems at bay.
Here are some reasons to apply hair oil:
- Strengthens and softens your hair:Regular oiling can hydrate your scalp and promote hair growth. The oil’s vitamins, minerals, and nutrients can strengthen the hair roots and prevent breakage, making them soft and shiny.
- Prevent dandruff and itchy scalp:Certain oils like neem and tea tree oil can solve issues related to dandruff and itchy scalp. You can either mix these oils in your shampoo or massage them directly onto your scalp. It will reduce itching, dandruff, and head lice.
- Avoid premature graying:Today, premature graying of hair has become a common issue. It is often caused due to deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the hair. Amla oil can ensure your scalp gets proper nutrition with vitamins and nutrients to avoid premature graying.
- Reduce hair fall and breakage:Dry scalp, protein deficiency, and dehydration are a few reasons for hair fall and breakage. Oils like coconut and jojoba are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, and minerals. Therefore, massaging hair with these oils can be an excellent protein treatment for damaged hair.
- Improve hair growth and circulation:One of the significant benefits of oiling your hair is that it improves blood circulation in your scalp, leading to hair growth. As a result, it prevents further hair loss and maintains the health of your hair.
- Lower your stress levels:One of the most important reasons to apply hair oil regularly is that it reduces stress levels. Oil massage relaxes your body and mind so that you feel calm and serene. It also helps you stay focused on anything you do.
Choosing the best hair oil
Many people invest a lot of time and money in getting the best oil but might not get the desired results. When selecting oil for hair, you should consider your scalp issues, hair texture, weather conditions, and stress levels.
Also, getting the right ingredients and massaging regularly will get you the best result. Choosing oil for your hair will depend on certain factors, we have listed them below to help you find the right hair oil.
Tip 1: Know Your Scalp Type
Different scalp types can lead to different scalp conditions. Our scalp is an extension of our skin and has many issues. Here are some types:
- Dry Scalp:If your scalp is often itchy and flaky, it indicates that it lacks adequate moisture. On a dry scalp, the pH levels are high, and sebum production is less. As a result, it is prone to excessive hair fall, frequent breakage, and other such conditions. Jojoba oil has moisturizing properties that can treat dry scalp issues.
- Oily Scalp:If your hair and scalp often feel greasy, you may have an oily scalp. It happens when your sebaceous glands are overproducing sebum. An oily scalp can attract dirt and impurities, which might trigger dandruff. Tea tree oil and rosemary oil are known to offer the needed support to clear off oily scalp issues.
- Combination Scalp:In the case of a combination scalp, you will experience dry and oily areas spread across your scalp. It happens when your scalp’s natural oils are not evenly distributed on the scalp. Almond, grapeseed, and apricot kernel oil are the best options for combination scalp.
Tip 2: Know Your Hair Type
Everyone has different hair textures and types, and you must curate your hair care products accordingly. Here are some hair types:
- Frizzy and Dry Hair:Dry and frizzy hair lacks moisture and natural oils. As a result, it leads to a dry texture of hair and no shine. If you have dry hair, you should try argan oil because it is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E. It offers nourishment and moisturizes the hair to fight dryness and boost shine.
- Curly Hair:If you want to maintain a healthy curl, massage your hair and scalp with coconut, avocado, or sweet almond oil. These oils have tiny particles that provide moisture and hydration to your curls without weighing them down.
- Oily Hair:You may be hesitant to apply oils if you already have oily hair. However, essential oils like rosemary, lavender, and lemon oil mixed with carrier oil can do wonders in balancing excess oil production. In most cases, applying oil once a week is sufficient for oily hair.
- Thin and Fine Hair:Thin and fine hair is often prone to breakage and split ends and requires oils with hair-promoting proteins. Castor and onion hair oils can deliver the perfect nutrients to improve hair density and elasticity, making it thick and strong.
Mamaearth’s Onion Hair Oil with Redensyl is highly recommended if you have hair fall and hair thinning. Packed with the goodness of Castor Oil, Bhringraj oil, Almond Oil and Redensyl, the oil provides the right nourishment and treatment for hair loss, damaged hair, itchy scalp, and premature graying.
Mamaearth also offers a variety of other hair care products ranging from SLS-free shampoos to conditioners. If you have damaged and frizzy hair, we recommend their Rice Hair Oil Booster to give you the extra nourishment that your hair craves. This one-of-a-kind product is nutrient-rich, and a few drops of it added to your regular hair oil can give you shinier, thicker, and voluminous hair.
You can also try its newly launched Eggplex Conditioner with Egg Protein & Collagen, which helps repair hair bonds and improve hair texture. It features Egg Protein, Collagen, Keratin, and Jojoba Seed Oil that nourish the hair and reduce frizz.
Tip 3: Avoid these Mistakes
Here are some oiling mistakes you should avoid:
- Avoid leaving hair overnight after oiling; keep it for 3 to 4 hours before washing.
- Do not overdo hair oiling if you have dandruff or oily hair.
- Avoid over-massaging and tying hair too tightly after oiling.
- Do not apply oil if your hair is wet.
It is important to stay away from harsh chemicals or ingredients. We recommend choosing a product from Mamaearth’s range of hair oils, shampoos, and conditioners that are natural and free of harmful chemicals and toxins. Its products are certified by Made Safe and are thus free of mineral oil, sulfates, allergens, and parabens. This makes them suitable for all skin and hair types.
Make the right choice for better hair and scalp health
To keep your mane healthy and strong, you need long-term caring commitment. It includes lifestyle changes, managing stress, regular oiling, and using the right products. At Mamaearth, you can find a range of excellent hair oils based on your hair texture and concern. So whether you are looking to boost hair growth or find a solution for dandruff and hair fall, you will get everything under one roof. Explore the shop now!