Cannabidiol, or CBD for short, is a new way to treat pain like back pain that hasn’t been studied much yet. Studies show that it may help reduce inflammation, which is a common cause of back pain that lasts for a long time.
CBD comes in many different forms, such as creams and gels that have shown promise in treating inflammation and neuropathy. This makes them a good choice for treating neck and back pain.
More research needs to be done on CBD to prove and explain its effectiveness and to learn more about its side effects (which can last a long time) and interactions with other drugs.
What Is CBD and How Does It Work?
The Cannabis Sativa plant is used to make CBD oil. The plant has more than 100 chemical compounds called cannabinoids, which are anti-inflammatory and relieve pain.
There are two main types of cannabis Sativa grown for different reasons:
- How much THC is there? THC is the chemical that makes people who use marijuana feel “stoned.”
- For industrial uses (that don’t involve drugs) this plant contains less than 03% THC and can be used to make paper, clothes, and some building materials. One kind of cannabis plant is called “hemp.”
CBD can be found in both types of plants, but most CBD products on the market come from hemp. CBD doesn’t make you feel high or crazy like marijuana does.
Back Pain Treatments with CBD
In some studies, CBD seems to change how people feel pain, but more research is needed. CBD is a treatment for the whole body, which means it doesn’t specifically treat back pain (unless it’s in a topical product). Instead, it helps you feel relaxed and less pain all over.
CBD supporters think that it could be used to treat more than just back pain, such as anxiety disorders.
While severe side effects are uncommon, they can include:
- Confusion in the mind
When taken with other medicines, especially those that come with warnings about grapefruit, like some blood thinners, there is a risk of side effects, just like with other natural products. Based on these warnings, you shouldn’t take certain medicines with grapefruit products.
Use of CBD Before Surgery
Before surgery, a surgeon or anesthesiologist needs to know about any use of cannabis, including CBD and marijuana. A recent study found that using cannabis may change how the drugs used to calm down patients work. Keep this in mind when you are choosing CBD products.
Because there are so many different kinds of Cannabis products and companies that make them, people should look for certain testing and labeling features.
- Testing by someone else. Look for a product that was tested by a company other than the one that sells it. No matter what the maker says, testers from outside the company seem worried about the ingredients.
- Labels that are clear and tell the truth. On labels and online, manufacturers must make testing results easy to find and understand.
- Testing is ongoing. The quality and amount of an item can vary from “batch” to “batch.” Reliable companies test their products often and put the results on labels and on their websites.
CBD products are not regulated by the FDA. Because of this, it is important to read labels carefully and talk to a doctor or nurse about any concerns.
Types of CBD Options In the Market
There are no CBD products on the market that are made to treat back pain right now. Some of the most common types of Cannabidiol that can be used to treat back pain are:
- Oils: CBD oil can be taken by mouth, smoked, or mixed into drinks. Oil is often used to make other CBD products, like creams and sprays, but it can also be used on its own. There are also capsules with CBD oil inside, which make it easier to get the right amount (for example, taking 450 mg vs. 3000 mg).
- Tinctures: When you soak cannabis flowers in alcohol for a long time, you get a tincture. The CBD will be taken out of the plant in a way that makes it more concentrated than most CBD products. Most tincture bottles have a dropper built in so that you can take one or more drops. Tinctures can be used on their own or with other foods or drinks.
- Edibles: CBD can be put into drinks and foods. They can be done at home by mixing CBD oil or herbal remedies with food or drinks. Examples include baked goods, chocolates, and cbd gummies for pain.
- Two types of cosmetics are creams and gels. Because lotions with CBD in them are put on the skin, they are called “topical.” CBD creams and gels can be used to treat back and neck pain because they are absorbed through the skin. They have also been shown to reduce pain from inflammation and nerve damage.
CBD users should stay up to date on the rules about their products.